Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sunday June 12th. Early morning

Sherri and I both awoke at 2:30 am. We watched the countryside begin to lighten at 3:30 am.



 I fixed breakfast which consisted of sausage, bacon, eggs and toast. The pork was purchased across the canal at the pig farm.
I went back to bed and managed a couple hours sleep.
After my morning walk, I shoved off to head down the canal to the Great Western Arms pub where we had reservations for lunch. I say I, because Sherri decided to shower and get ready in route. I worked two locks on my own. It made me appreciate having Sherri at the tiller while I work the locks. It cuts the task in half. 
About 30 minutes from our destination, I realized I hadn't heard anything from Sherri. I ducked in for a quick check and found her snoozing away. I felt bad waking her up. 


After lunch we pushed on to Lower Hayford where we planned to moore for the night. 
As our trip progressed we started to have difficulty steering the bolt. We ended up crossways at a very inconvenient moment. I had to run to the front with the push pole to avoid an oncoming boat. My actions elicited lots of advice from the passing boats captain. I muttered somthing about an issue with the tiller but I am sure he thought he was starring at the issue. 
Once we righted ourselves, I reversed and we felt debri come loose from the rudder. As we went forward we saw the sizable log floating behind the boat. The rudder was one again doing its job properly.    
We moved on further down the canal. The afternoon weather was a mix of rain and sun.

We reached Lower Heyford. What a charming village. Sherri and I are having burgers and chips at The Bell Inn Pub.













     








1 comment:

  1. Love the pics. depending on what's in the canal, you can get weeds caught, too. Logs can't be good. Hope sleep is better for you both tonight.

    ReplyDelete